Friday, August 8, 2008

crappy Friday

Just when I thought my research proposal was done, I came upon an article about social capital and poverty in Latin America, which seemed like something I should probably read before I submit the proposal! Anyway, it mentioned that the lowest Human Poverty Index scores in Latin America in 2005 were in Guatemala, Honduras, Bolivia, Nicaragua and Haiti. I.e. where Angela, Ania, Dave and Francis are stationed. So that’s good. And I doubt that any IDSers will be doing a formal placement in Haiti anytime soon...yikes.

Phewf
Kids came over last night to watch Water Horse (“Mi mascota es un monstruo”). 10 kids. Not cool. Next time I have that many kids over, no pop and no popcorn because they went totally nuts. I had to break up kids elbowing each other in the spines (¡!) and Domingo, the youngest one, ripping plants out of the ground and throwing them in the house. He also had a temper tantrum later after he tripped and I eventually was screaming at his older brother to stop yelling at him and leave him alone. UGH. There was also spilled Sprite all over my yoga mat, purposefully (I suspect) spilled popcorn in an effort to get more (unsuccessful as there was none left. HA!) and lots of whining about space and sharing. Good lord. All in all, glad I had it and it was, generally, fun. But the pop and popcorn combined with the movie being pretty boring was too much. I told them the next installment is next Friday so stay tuned...(pictures should be up on FB)

Bad news
So Coquette has been missing for 3 days. No clue where she is and the puppies are gone, too. Asked the kids about it and they haven’t seen her either. Frick. Apparently she has “another owner”, though, which is problematic. I have to asked José Luis (Annie’s fiancé for those who don’t have Sean McCurdy memories) about that...Joanie’s cat got taken away after she’d had her for 9 months when the “original owner” came by to take it. But, as Carola said, you would think that they would let me or someone else know. Meh.

Due to mechnical trouble, of course, my mother is stuck in Cleveland. She can’t get here, apparently, until tomorrow NIGHT. Which means I have to try to find the guy in charge of car rentals to see if I can change the car rental. And that means we’re missing our day in Santa Elena and a party in Santa Rita. Which is fine but a big bummer.

2 comments:

  1. hehe I love the translation of Water Horse... Also, I had a BAT in my house yesterday... a friggen BAT!!! I flipped out and it kept flying at my face because it was freaking out too.... oh my it was scary.... and today I squished my first cockroach... not pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I was here.

    Love the bat story LOL!

    ReplyDelete