Wednesday, September 3, 2008

mini-update from a sickface

So I left work a bit early last Monday because I was feeling really drained and exhausted. Figured I was coming down with a bit of a flu or something. Wasn't feeling better Tuesday, so stayed home. Well, Wednesday the bad morning migraines started. Thursday, went to a clinic to get tested for dengue, tested positive. Went to a doctor, who was very nice and calls me Angela with a hard "g" which I never hear down here, who diagnosed a UTI based on the tests but said I didn't have dengue because I have no fever. Talked to Dr Wise, the program Dr in Canada, who said I probably DO have a bit of dengue because of the pain in my head. This pattern of terrible night and morning headaches continued with constant head pain during the day -just enough that it's hard to read, i.e. WORK. Went back to hard "g" doctor who prescribed migraine stuff and some anti-allergy stuff for a rash I had on my arms on Monday.

Well, this stuff didn't work at all. So Tuesday, back to Santa Elena I went, to a different Dr (after a whole day of figuring out going to Guatemala City with the university, CUSO and insurance, someone mentioned this good doctor!!! ARGH. It was frustrating) who said it could very well be dengue without a fever. Just to be safe, I'm being treated for malaria which sucks hardcore.

Basically, I'm tired, have a constant migraine, can't sleep because of the pain and am bored as heck. My computer power cable broke so now I can't even watch some movies or write blog entries to kill the time. Hoping that it's over soon because I'm eager to get back to work and hanging out with the kids. The sound of them laughing makes me cringe now because of the headaches, which is too bad.

In other news, Coquette brought back one of her stolen puppies last Wednesday. Today, she followed me onto the microbus and refused to stay at the Cooperative. The only option I had was to leave her on the highway where she inevitably would have been run over by a truck. So she is currently at my feet after a frustrating afternoon lugging her around. Pictures to come soon!!

Missing Canada a lot, especially the medical system, at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment