Sunday, July 13, 2008

waiting out the rain at the hotel

I'm worried the market and stores will be closed by the time it stops pouring. Normally, rain wouldn't stop me but with my laptop and cheap non-MEC bag...not worth the risk.

Yesterday was Alessandro's last day. He wanted to spend it at a beach in San Miguel, across the lake from Flores, and invited me to come with him. On the bus ride to Santa Elena, he bumped into a little girl that was in his class at the Nuevo Horizonte elementary school two years ago. She had dropped out because her mother felt school was not important for a girl, she needed to learn how to take care of a house. A group from the Cooperative went out to her house in Santa Ana (she was the only non-Horizonte student at the time, now there are several who come to the school) and the mother would not change her mind. She has not returned to the school since. Alessandro, very politely, talked to the girl about how those were great times in school and how she should go to the cooperative to visit the library to borrow books for free. It was obvious he was trying to persuade her to go back but did so without a lot of pressure. Unfortunately the girl is sick and was on the way to the city to go to a doctor. 15 days with a fever, which is obviously very dangerous but her family is extremely poor so until it gets really bad, they don't see doctors. All in all, a very sad situation.

The beach was beautiful. I swam a bit but spent most of the day reading the paper. Despite my best efforts with my sunscreen, I ended up with a burned chest and knees which are driving me nuts at the moment. My first, and hopefully last, Guatemala burn.

After going home, doing some cleaning and reading, and showing the puppies to more child visitors who are now tying ribbons on the ones they're going to take, I went to the house where Alessandro is staying for his good-bye fiesta. We had tilapia from the fish farm, mashed potatoes and tons of tortillas. Oh I love tortillas. Before dinner, I watched the second halves of the Mummy and the Batman with Alicia Silverstone ("Batichica" haha) that were on TV with the family. Chris O'Donnell is so hot. Anyway, after finding out that I love horses, I got an offer from Raoul's son who I'm pretty sure is also Raoul (ack I need to get better with names) to take me horseback riding any weekend I want! Sweet.

Being the big party animal I am, I left at 9pm and was up bright and early today to cram in my cleaning and my internet. Unfortunately it has been pouring rain for the last hour and, of course, I have a lot of laundry hanging in my backyard. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment