Monday, May 12, 2008

Two days to go!

video about Nuevo Horizonte. And no, I don't understand most of the Spanish in it. Oh my...

Found out a few pieces of misinformation today. Two weeks after I emailed the women who are at Nuevo Horizonte with CUSO, I got a message back from Annie. She's French, contrary to what I was told before. She understood my email, though, and I understood hers in response, so that was fortunate. Just a little more work for my poor [essentially] unilingual brain, haha. Also, she told me they don't have internet at the Cooperative. Hmm. That's a bit problematic. It throws a bit of a wrench in my research and long distance relationship. Ay ay ay. It's going to be interesting! I can't ethicle everything in the moment now. I'm such an internet addict.

My email from Annie was very helpful. She told me not to worry about the tattoo. Apparently a lot of tourists come by with them, so they're not a big deal anymore. Phewf. She reminded me the mosquito net is very important. And I got a warning that it's freaking hot in Peten.

Spent the day with Jessica, my best friend in Ottawa. Got some more shopping done (shoes and Canada gifts) and ate at Mongolian Village for the last time until next February! It was delicious :)

Came home, watched the Nuevo Horizonte video and sewed up a hole in the sweater I'm bringing with me. I also called Francis. He leaves for Estali tomorrow afternoon! I leave at 6:20 am on Thursday. I can't believe it! My flights are Ottawa -> Cleveland -> Houston -> Guatemala City -> Flores. Arrival time in Flores? 6:20pm. That's right! One day, four flights. Francis and I both have very short stopovers, which will make luggage a bit of a gamble. I have half an hour in Cleveland and 35 minutes in Houston. My longest flight is 2 hours, so no sleeping for me! It'll be quite the adventure, anyway. I'm so excited for Francis and can't wait to hear from him when he gets there! (hint hint)

Thailand people, Jan and Leslie, leave on Friday. Dave leaves on Sunday. I think that's it for May, unless Veronica (whose passport got lost in the mail. She was supposed to leave in early May to Mozambique but had to get her departure pushed back) got a new date. It's happening so fast!

Dad bought me a laptop cooler today. It's pretty spiffy. Hopefully it keeps my beautiful Dell kicking for at least another 9 months.

Mom and I are off to shop hopefully for the last time tonight! This coop is so expensive! We spent $350 at MEC on a backpack, head lamp (bright pink!), spandex shorts, mini flashlights, money belt, and a Swiss Army knife. Dad spent over $500 (no joke) on my toiletries for the trip. Most of it is stuff I'd be buying in life anyway -shampoo for my psoriasis, soap for my stupidly sensitive skin, moisturizer, lip balm- but the extreme amount of sunscreen and mosquito repellent is definitely an extra expense. Plus the first aid kit, Purell, over the counter meds for random things, and vitamins are all things I normally do without. I'll likely be spending another $100-200 at Future Shop (on top of the $40 laptop cooler) for rewritable CDs, an external harddrive, microphone/headset, and AAA rechargeable batteries. I also have to pick up some notebooks and things for my research. Basically, if I didn't have generous parents with a disposable income, I'd be in a tough spot. On top of the $6200 tuition, or whatever ridiculous amount we pay, and the insane cost of rent in Toronto, it really adds up! Definitely not a cheap degree by any means.

It sounds like a lot of stuff. I'm bringing almost no clothing -one pair of jeans, a few scarves that can be towels, scarves, skirts and blankets, a few t-shirts and a blouse. I could probably fit everything in my carry-on and one checked bag if it weren't for the limits on liquids. Most of my bag is shampoo, soap, repellent, mosturizer, contact solution and sunscreen. But pretty much all of it has to be checked, so I have to pay the extra $25 to check the extra bag. Grrr. Understandable but frustrating, of course.

So that's the really long update of my life, two days before I leave! Mom's home. Off to spend more of my parents' money.

No comments:

Post a Comment